Frequently Asked Questions
What is a one-part paint (versus a two-part paint)?
It’s exactly what it sounds like! One-part paints come in a single canister. They are frequently craft paints, house paints, spray paints, and other paints that you buy one can and go. Two-part paints are things like enamels, epoxies, and other coats that you have to mix before application.
What is included in registration?
Not only will you be able to race your boat when the time comes, you will also receive a starter kit of cardboard and four t-shirts.
About your starter kit:
- It is included in the registration – one per boat.
- There are four sheets of cardboard (each is 70″ x 100″) included in this kit
- You can pick it up at the Hahn Welcome Center at the W.E. Skelton 4-H Educational Conference Center Monday through Friday 8am-4pm. To arrange pickup outside these hours or on a weekend, please call 540-721-2759 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We cannot ship or deliver the cardboard; you must pick it up at the 4-H Center.
- The cardboard will need to be secured when you pick it up! Measure your vehicle and bring some rope or tie-downs.
Do I have to use the cardboard from the starter kit?
- No; you may use cardboard from any source as long as it meets the requirements in the rules and regulations. But hey, free cardboard!
I’m competing/volunteering! What should I bring?
- Your boat
- Shoes for the water – we have a very rocky shoreline and we want you to be as safe as possible
- A dry change of clothing
- A SIGNED LIABILITY WAIVER IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY SENT ONE IN.
- Optional: A PFD (personal flotation device aka life jacket) that has been cleared for your weight by the US Coast Guard. This rating should be located inside the back of the PFD. Again, this is optional. The 4-H Center has more than enough to go around.
Please do not bring:
- Paddles/oars/engines – the 4-H Center will provide canoe paddles of all sizes available. Outside paddles will not be allowed on the course.
- Pets of any kind (Service dogs allowed with proper identification)
- Coolers, picnic baskets, and other outside food and beverage
Can we hang our company’s banner on our boat?
Can I decorate my boat with a wooden mast and cotton sail?
- Of course!
Can I affix a wooden mermaid masthead in the likeness of Gene Simmons to the prow of my ship?
- If you feel that it’s an appropriate decoration, that’s fine.
- Basically, as long as it’s decoration and doesn’t affect the structure of the boat at all, it’s good to go. The judges will be looking closely, though, so be ready to remove it to prove that Gene Simmons isn’t actually holding up the boat.
What does the course look like?
- Video on its way!
- Please do not enter our boating coves or come onto property to view the course. we have children at camp all summer. Thank you for your cooperation.
Will I have help getting into my boat?
- Yes. We have stepping stools and course marshals who will help you out.